Holistic dentistry is an alternative to traditional dentistry. It focuses on natural and biological solutions to dental problems in order to improve overall health and wellness. Where traditional dentistry may offer one solution or treatment option, holistic dentistry looks at many possible solutions and treatments that can work together to improve dental health.
Learn about the benefits of holistic dentistry to determine if it may be the best choice for your dental health now and in the future.
What is Holistic Dentistry?
Holistic dentistry is a different philosophy toward dental treatment. It addresses the overall health and wellness of the patient rather than treatment of a specific problem. The holistic approach to dentistry takes the whole body into account, not just the mouth or a single tooth. Holistic dentists look at the whole picture of the patient’s health and work to find solutions that are natural and biological, avoiding artificial and foreign substances.
Top Benefits of Holistic Dentistry
The following benefits are some of the top reasons patients choose holistic dentistry:
- Safety: Holistic dentistry is extremely safe because it uses natural and biologically compatible materials.
- Comfort: Minimally invasive techniques used in holistic dentistry improve the comfort of patients during treatment.
- Non-toxic: There are no toxins or unhealthy chemicals used in holistic dentistry. Everything has been thoroughly tested and proven to be safe.
- Improved health: Holistic dentistry looks at the whole picture of your health, not just your dental and oral health. This helps your dentist to make decisions that are in the best interest of your whole body and your general well-being.
- Conservative: Natural remedies are used whenever possible before using more invasive or chemical based treatments.
- Treat the source of the problem: Rather than focusing on the existing problem and treating it, holistic dentistry uncovers the reason behind the problem to address the source and provide a long term or permanent cure.
Is Holistic Dentistry Effective?
Many people are skeptical of holistic dentistry because they are not sure if it will work. This is often the opinion of those who have never tried holistic medicine of any kind. Once patients see and understand holistic dentistry, they rarely ever return to traditional dentistry. The level of satisfaction and the improvement to the way they feel provides convincing evidence of the effectiveness of holistic dentistry.
Examples of Holistic Dentistry Treatments
The following are examples of holistic dental services that differ from traditional dentistry:
- Ozone Therapy: Ozone water is used to clean out infection naturally.
- Fluoride Free Options: Some patients are sensitive to fluoride or have concerns about overexposure, which is why we offer fluoride-free options.
- Cavitation Surgery: Cavitation surgery addresses holes in the bone that form after a tooth extraction.
- Thermography: Thermography detects temperature increases in areas of inflammation and can be used to reduce overall inflammation in the body.
- Lower Level Light Therapy: This is a form of laser therapy that relieves pain and inflammation without medication.
- BPA and Metal Free Fillings: We use filling material for cavities that is BPA and metal free for safe, non-toxic fillings.
- Removal of Mercury Fillings: We can safely remove old mercury fillings and replace them with safe filling material.
- Biocompatibility Testing: If you are sensitive to any particular chemical groups, biocompatibility testing can detect them so they can be eliminated from your treatment.
- TMJ Treatment: We provide natural treatment for TMJ disorder that corrects the alignment of the joint for long term relief.
- Ceramic Dental Implants: There are many benefits of ceramic dental implants over metal, from lower risk of gum disease to reduced sensitivity to heat.
- DNA Connexions Testing: This test identifies oral pathogens that may be affecting oral health as well as overall health.
Where Can I Find a Holistic Dentist?
TMJ Plus Wellness Center is a holistic dental practice in Grapevine, Texas serving the greater Dallas area. We focus on natural solutions that improve the long term health and wellness of our patients rather than temporary solutions to dental problems.