You may have heard of holistic dentistry, or at least holistic medicine, but not everyone understands what it really means. There are many myths and distorted views of holistic medicine that are inaccurate. If you’ve ever wondered about holistic dentistry, this comprehensive guide will tell you what you need to know.
Defining Holistic Medicine
The term holistic refers to the concept that many parts contribute to the whole. Holistic medicine is an attitude or approach to health that focuses on the whole human and their well-being rather than focusing on a specific problem and treating it.
Defining Holistic Dentistry
Holistic dentistry is an approach to oral health that considers the connection between the health of the mouth and the overall health and wellness of the person. The goal of holistic dentistry is to help patients live longer, healthier lives through natural oral health strategies and treatments.
Holistic Dentistry Services
We provide the following holistic dental services:
- Teeth cleanings with ozone therapy. We provide holistic teeth cleanings using laser ozone treatment to remove bacteria and protect your gums.
- Fluoride free options. While fluoride is typically good for your teeth, some people have sensitivities to fluoride. We offer fluoride free options when needed.
- CBCT X-rays. Cone beam X-rays provide a 3D image of your mouth and facial structures for advanced diagnostics that allow us to get a more thorough picture.
- Cavitation surgery. Cavitation surgery treats the jaw bone after tooth extraction to remove any holes or damage left behind.
- Thermography. Thermography locates inflammation by detecting an increased temperature in a certain part of the mouth or body.
- Lower level light therapy. LLLT is a non-invasive option for treating pain and inflammation.
- BPA and metal free fillings. We use only BPA and metal free fillings to restore the health of your teeth in a safe and effective way that is free of toxins.
- Biocompatibility testing. This is a screening used to determine sensitivity to chemical groups that may help to determine the best treatment options for you.
- TMJ treatment. Holistic dentistry provides treatment for TMJ disorder that focuses on the source of the problem for a permanent cure.
- Ceramic dental implants. We provide ceramic dental implants due to their many benefits, such as a lower risk of gum disease. They also provide a metal free option for patients with sensitivities or allergies to certain metals.
- DNA connections testing. A minimally invasive test can identify oral pathogens.
- Safe removal of mercury fillings. We safely remove old metal fillings that contain mercury to avoid contamination and replace them with composite fillings.
Debunking Myths About Holistic Dentistry
The most common myth about holistic medicine in general is that it is ineffective because it uses all natural treatments rather than medication. However, this is not true. Holistic medicine and dentistry still includes the use of medication and traditional methods if and when it is the best option for treatment. Our goal is to restore your oral health in a way that benefits your overall health. We avoid treatments that include toxins and chemicals that may cause adverse reactions immediately and over time. We consider the big picture, the long term, and want you to live a healthier, happier life.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is holistic medicine the same as Eastern medicine?
These terms are often used interchangeably, and they are similar. But they don’t necessarily mean the same thing. Eastern medicine refers to traditional Chinese medicine and the treatments used in that culture. Taking a holistic approach to dentistry may or may not include Chinese medicinal treatments.
Does insurance cover holistic dentistry?
If you have dental insurance, it will cover holistic dentistry just as it would cover traditional dentistry. Many of the procedures are similar. For more information about your plan and coverage, contact your insurance provider.