Oral care is important for the health of your teeth and mouth. The term oral care can refer to the steps you take at home to keep your teeth and mouth clean and healthy, such as brushing and flossing your teeth. It can also refer to professional oral care that you get from a dentist.
Are you looking for natural methods of oral care? Learn about some alternative approaches to oral care, such as holistic dentistry.
What is Holistic Dentistry?
A holistic approach to dentistry takes the whole person into consideration and strives to improve their overall health. Holistic dentistry doesn’t just attack the problem, it gets to the source of the problem to find out why it has occurred and what can be done to treat and prevent it. Treatment options used in holistic dentistry are all natural in most cases.
Holistic Approaches to Oral Care at Home
Oral health begins at home, and there are some all-natural methods for taking care of your teeth and mouth, such as:
- Fluoride free toothpaste. Fluoride can be a beneficial mineral and additive to toothpaste for most. But if you are sensitive to fluoride, there are fluoride-free toothpastes available.
- All natural toothpaste. There are some brands of toothpaste that don’t contain chemicals or preservatives that are potentially toxic or harmful to your body. These all natural toothpastes can clean your teeth just as effectively as traditional types. They are a great alternative to generic toothpaste and can help with desensitizing, for pregnant women, children of all ages.
Holistic Approaches to Professional Oral Care
In addition to oral care at home, professional oral care is a necessary part of maintaining the health of your mouth, which in turn promotes overall health and wellness. Holistic approaches to in-office dental care include:
- Holistic dental cleaning. A holistic dental cleaning uses all-natural, chemical-free methods of removing plaque from the teeth. A holistic dental cleaning may include the following approaches:
- Ozone therapy. Ozone therapy goes a step further in destroying bacteria in the mouth to reduce the overall population and prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
- Probiotics. Helps repopulate good bacteria and improve oral and overall health
Benefits of Holistic Oral Care
There are many benefits to holistic oral care at home and at the dentist’s office:
- Non-toxic. Holistic oral care is non-toxic, using no harsh chemicals in your mouth that could cause irritation or contaminate your body.
- Less invasive. Holistic methods are minimally invasive, such as Probiotics and ozone therapy, as opposed to scraping and digging with traditional tools.
- Effective. The results of holistic oral care prove that it is just as effective, if not more effective, than traditional methods.
Frequently Asked Questions About Holistic Oral Care
Can holistic oral care effectively treat gum disease?
If you have battled recurring gum disease, holistic treatment could provide lasting results. By getting to the source of gum disease, we can treat the existing infection and prevent it from recurring, all through natural methods.
Can holistic dentistry help with my dental anxiety?
Dental anxiety is a common condition. Holistic dentistry uses minimally invasive methods to clean the teeth and mouth in ways that are less intimidating. Your whole experience at the dentist’s office will be different, and may just eliminate your fears.
TMJ Plus Wellness Center Provides Holistic Oral Care
If you’re looking for a dental practice that provides holistic oral care, TMJ Plus Wellness Center would be glad to welcome you. Our holistic approach to dentistry not only addresses your mouth, but your overall health and wellness. We believe in the connection between the mouth and rest of the body and strive to treat the whole person at every visit.